Earlier this week, after discovering we were too early for ice skating, the kids, Angie, and I took a stroll down the fantastic Tinsel Trail along the Tuscaloosa Riverwalk. Each tree was sponsored and then decorated by different community businesses, nonprofits, or individuals.
Max found a sign that had fallen over. He quickly picked it up and staked it back in the ground. Because, in his words, “Duh, that’s what boys DO, mom.” I bit my lip and kept the “ideally” from coming out. One should appreciate the ideal rather than demand it. Or so I’ve read…
So many trees to see…. There were large, bombastic trees smothered in bows….
Angie strolled along, looking relieved that the ice-skating rink would not give her a chance to skate.
And there were many discoveries and inspirations for our own crafting plans…
1. CD ornaments painted with reindeer scenes.
2. Little yarn Dr. Seuss-ish ornaments….
3. Lovely little critters cut from pinecones and brush….
4. A gauze-wrapped snowman tree.
5. Stockings cut from burlap and decorated with paint and glitter.
6. Candycanes also cut from burlap and painted.
7. Recycled aluminum can ornaments.
8. Aluminum soda can tree people.
9. Classic glitter-dipped pinecones hung with rope.
10. Instruments and horns adding glitter to the tree.
11. Laminated sunshine photos of children at the R.I.S.E. tree.
12. A rope garland lined with bells and pieces of bandana fabric.
13. Hand-painted glass globes with black and red backgrounds.
14. A collection of colorful handprints with glitter decorations.
15. A glue-covered and glitter-dipped CD.
16. A tree covered with toys- this was B.’s “favorite”.
17. An Eric Carle inspired butterfly tree-topper.
18. Monopoly money and game pieces as upcycled tree decorations.
Our vote for the wackiest, “cutest” tree- the big mouthed Bama Fan?
As we neared the end of the Trail, Milla found a fellow she deemed intriguing. B. stopped to scope him out. Before I understood what was going down, Micah joined them..
The luckiest faux gingerbread man on the block earned a kiss from three little ladies far sweeter than himself.
We headed back to the spaceship with the words from one advice-giving tree still in our minds- “Peace on earth begins at home”.